Solutions in Action
Success Stories from the Field
Solutions in Action are examples of how UF/IFAS Extension touches the lives of Floridians. Throughout the peninsula, we reach people just like you.
UF/IFAS Extension has a local office in every county in the state. Offices and counties are grouped regionally into five districts, and county faculty within these districts work together to meet the needs of their local communities through educational programs, field day demonstrations, and one-on-one interaction with local residents.
Bettering Agricultural and Horticultural Enterprises
From teaching about agricultural business planning to implementing good agricultural practices, UF/IFAS Extension plays an important role in helping Florida's producers and growers. For example, UF/IFAS Extension created a hybrid, perennial bermudagrass, which greatly improved many North Florida dairy farmers' businesses.
- AgSave$ Program: Article
- Panhandle-area Extension Agents Quickly Work to Help Agricultural Producers: Article
- UF/IFAS Extension Helps North Florida Dairies: Article
- UF/IFAS Extension Agent Improves Safety for Hispanic Farmworkers: Article
- UF/IFAS Extension Program to Control Tropical Soda Apple: Article
- UF/IFAS Partners and USDA to Conduct Grant Workshop: Article
Enhancing and Protecting Water
As we know, water is essential to life. However, with growing populations water is expected to become more of a scarce commodity. That's one of the reasons why UF/IFAS Extension is here. By teaching Floridians ways to use less water and improving their knowledge about water allocation and quality, positive impacts can be made.
- Florida-Friendly Program Saves Water: Video
- Polk County Water School: Video
- UF/IFAS-developed Avocado App Helps Guide Irrigation: Article
- UF/IFAS Extension Miami-Dade County's Landscape Irrigation Evaluation Program: Video
Enhancing and Conserving Florida's Natural Resources
Whether it's improving communities' decision-making process through scientific research or teaching citizens the importance of environmental stewardship, UF/IFAS Extension is dedicated to protecting Florida's natural resources.
- Florida's Urban Tree-Planting Program Shows Good Results: Article
- Panhandle Outdoors Live Program: Video
- UF/IFAS Leadership Earns Awards Highlighting Climate Challenges: Article
Creating and Conserving Energy
From introducing alternative energy options to business owners to demonstrating ways Florida residents can save energy in their daily lives, UF/IFAS Extension strives to produce and conserve traditional and alternative forms of energy.
Whether it's enabling more Floridians access to affordable housing, bettering the quality of life for the elderly, or improving and educating families about food safety, UF/IFAS Extension provides families with solutions today for a better tomorrow.
- Cancer Prevention Online Course: Article
- Ciclovia Immokalee! and UF/IFAS Extension: Article
- "The Meat We Eat" Online Course: Article
- Three UF/IFAS Extension Agents Earn National Recognition: Article
- UF/IFAS Sarasota County Extension Helps Both Farmers and Those in Need: Article
Strengthening Urban and Rural Communities
By engaging community members in strategic planning, fostering leadership development among citizens, and planning local interaction, UF/IFAS Extension aids in strengthening urban and rural communities. From revitalizing a small downtown in northern Florida to "fundamentally changing a community for the better" through the aquaculture industry, UF/IFAS Extension seeks to improve Florida's communities.
- Cedar Key Fishermen Farming the Sea: Video
- Community Re-Building Solutions: Video
- Florida Aquaculture in Cedar Key: Article
- Gulf Coast Residents Discuss Oil Spill Recovery: Video
- Live Oak Redevelopment: Video
- Partners in Preparedness: Video
- State's Agritourism Industry is Soaring: Article
- UF/IFAS Improve Health of Marine Life and Coastal Economies: Article
Preparing Youth for the Future
UF/IFAS Extension's community-based 4-H Youth Development program is a perfect example how we enable youth to develop important life skills and make them productive workforce members. By teaching youth a variety of skills—from saving water to eating healthy foods—UF/IFAS Extension can pave the way for a brighter future.
- 4-H Water Camp: Video
- Escambia County 4-H Center Dedication: Video
- The YUM (Youth Understanding My Plate) Program: Video
- UF/IFAS Extension Agents Earn National Award for Successful Programs: Article
- UF/IFAS Extension Teen Anti-Substance Abuse Program: Article