Lawn & Garden Problems
Insects, diseases, weeds, wildlife, and even the weather can mar the beauty of a well-kept yard. Learn how to protect your lawn and garden from common problems.
- Biological Controls & IPM
Rely less on pesticides to reduce damage from disease, insects, and other pests.
Fungi, bacteria, nematodes, and viruses.
- Insect Pests
All kinds of bugs--from ants to wasps.
- Invasive Species
Introduced plants and animals that harm the environment, the economy, and/or human health.
Microscopic worms that feed on plant tissues.
Use and safety for gardeners and homeowners.
- Plants to Avoid
Poison ivy, stinging nettles, and mistletoe.
- Weather-related Problems
Cold, drought, fire, hurricanes, pollution, and other problems.
Plants that are invasive, harmful, or simply growing in the wrong place.
- Wildlife Pests
Bothersome animals that can damage your property or invade your home.
For information about pesticide applicator training, CEUs, and licensing, see Training & CEUs.
- Entomology and Nematology Department
- Environmental Horticulture Department
- Florida Master Gardener Program
- Florida Partnership for Water, Agriculture & Community Sustainability at Hastings
- Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ Program
- Gardening in a Minute
- Home Lawn Care--Turfgrass Science
- Horticultural Sciences Department
- IPM Florida
- Landscape Plants
- Living Green
- Pesticide Information Office
- Plant Pathology Department
- School Gardens
- Soil and Water Science Department
- Trees and Hurricanes
State & Federal Agencies
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP)
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map--U.S. National Arboretum
Other University Sites
Organizations & Associations
- American Community Gardening Association
- American Horticultural Society
- Florida Native Plant Society
- National Garden Clubs
- North American Native Plant Society
Other Sites & Publications
- Beneficial Insect Poster
- Disorders and Diseases of Ornamental Palms
- The Florida Lawn Handbook
- Good Lawn Bugs
- Helpful, Harmful, HARMLESS?
- Insect Pests of Oak Trees Poster
- Insects and Related Pests of Turfgrass in Florida
- Landscape IPM Poster
- Occasional Invaders
- Ornamental & Turf Pest ID Sheets
- Pesticides in the Environment
- Pests that Wreck Your Grass and Ruin Your Weekend!
- Poisonous Plants of the Southern United States
- Troubleshooting Lawn Pests
- Turf Insect Pests Poster
- Urban Pest and Wildlife Droppings
- Vegetable and Field Crop Pest ID Sheets
- Weeds of Southern Turfgrasses
- Your Florida Landscape: A Complete Guide to Planting and Maintenance