Home, Energy and Money Management
• Your home often serves as the nourishing environment for you and your family to retreat and rest from the outside stresses of the world; a place for families to strengthen and grow.
• Often a sizable portion of the monthly budget goes toward providing this “house and home.”
• Orange County/University of Florida Extension programs and resources can help you:
• Identify environmental risks or problems in and around your home or apartment.
• Save money on home repairs, maintenance, and energy.
• Control mildew and moisture in your home.
• Use living space efficiently.
• Use and dispose of hazardous materials safely.
• Conserve water and help maintain Florida's water quality.
• Build stronger family communication.
Florida Master Money Mentors Are Here to Help
Are you feeling a bit of a financial hangover from the excesses spent during the holidays? As 2016 kicks off, would you like help getting back on the right financial track? Free help is available to help you set goals and track expenses to pay off credit card debt, establish an emergency fund, save for a home purchase down payment, or reach another goal.
University of Florida IFAS Extension Orange County offers the Florida Master Money Mentor Volunteer Program (FMMM) to help individuals organize and take control of their finances by pairing up individuals seeking help with a trained money mentor volunteer. An individual can meet with a money mentor volunteer at a convenient community location such as at a local library or coffee shop. The first meeting lasts about 1.5 hours. Future meetings are on average one hour.
To apply to receive one-on-one financial guidance from a FMMM volunteer in Orange County, please call your local UF IFAS Extension Orange County Office at 407-254-9200 to request an application to be mailed to you or please down load the application form here.
Everyone has to deal with money, whether budgeting, buying insurance, planning for retirement, or saving to buy a house. Become a more informed and empowered money manager with the resources on these pages.
Basic Money Management
Budgeting, recordkeeping, and financial education.
Credit protection laws, consumer education, and information about avoiding fraud and financial abuse.
Credit & Debt Management
Choosing a credit card, cutting costs, getting financial counseling, and protecting yourself from fees.
End of Life Issues
Resources that offer answers to legal, ethical, and financial questions.
Auto, flood, health, and life insurance are just a few of the kinds of insurance available.
Estate planning, retirement accounts, social security, and reverse mortgages.
Saving & Investing
Financial planning, banking, investment advisers, and protecting your money.
For information about energy efficiency and other topics related to saving money while being environmentally friendly, please visit our Sustainable Living: Families & Consumers page.
Can't find what you're looking for? Send us your questions--and let us know which county you live in--or contact your local Extension office.