Types of Gardens
Gardening can be more than just planting flowers. You can create a themed garden, choose plants that attract butterflies, establish a backyard pond, and even grow your own food!
- Attracting Wildlife
Turn your yard into an inviting place for wildlife.
- Butterfly Gardens
Plant flowers that butterflies will love.
- Container Gardening
If space is limited, grow plants in containers.
- Demonstration Gardens
These Extension gardens showcase local plants and sustainable gardening techniques.
- Fruits, Vegetables & Herbs
These edibles taste even better when you grow them yourself.
Give delicate plants the extra care they need.
- Indoor Gardens
No yard? No problem! Keep an indoor garden.
- Organic Gardening
Composting, recycling yard waste, and using natural fertilizers and pesticides.
- Water Gardens
Learn about backyard ponds and aquascaping.
- More Specialty Gardens
Bonsai, green roofs, school gardens, sensory gardens, and even horticultural therapy.
- Entomology and Nematology Department
- Environmental Horticulture Department
- FAWN: Florida Automated Weather Network
- Florida Master Gardener Program
- Florida Partnership for Water, Agriculture & Community Sustainability at Hastings
- Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ Program
- Gardening in a Minute
- Home Lawn Care--Turfgrass Science
- Horticultural Sciences Department
- IPM Florida
- Landscape Plants
- Living Green
- Pesticide Information Office
- Plant Pathology Department
- School Gardens
- Soil and Water Science Department
- Trees and Hurricanes
State & Federal Agencies
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP)
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map--U.S. National Arboretum
Other University Sites
Organizations & Associations
- American Community Gardening Association
- American Horticultural Society
- Florida Native Plant Society
- National Garden Clubs
- North American Native Plant Society